Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Double Digits

So, we have now reached blog number 10 and I have been informed by my personal evaluator/advice giver/constructive critic/always tells the truth/muse & partner (Wifey) that I am still searching for my blog voice.

...my "Blog Voice"...

My natural inclination was to immediately respond with a dose of sarcasm...but I held back. Mostly because I couldn't think of something drippingly bitter or cutting to say at that precise moment. Instead, I simply got defensive and pointed out that her picture blog format is so much easier than my mostly word format. I mean really?!?! Who can't take a great picture and write a witty caption and receive all kinds of gratuitous responses from adoring fans?! OK - yes, I know the answer to that...it's me. I can't.

She was correct. I am in search of my Internet voice. The appropriate proclamations that express the various and sundry thoughts, ideas, and content I wish the world to hear....that sounds like me...in my 2nd tenor.

I have dabbled in a few options and listened to choirs of other blog voices...but nothing definitive has come out yet. In my wanderings I did come across some helpful advice by those who have traveled to the mountain top before me and found their sound...

Christopher Meeks makes the following suggestions...

A voice on the Web: Strive to create a "text" voice that is as distinctive as your speaking voice.

We can't all be Hemingway: Don't try to write like someone else; find your own voice and don't try to change your demeanor.

Write like you talk: It really can be that simple.

Let your passion be your guide: Follow the urge; follow the idea.

Let me entertain you: All writing, even the most serious, is a form of entertainment. Find the words that keep your reader interested.

Your view on the world: Your specialty, your interests will color your view on the world—not to mention your writing.

Find the feeling: If you find the feeling that belongs to a piece of writing, the piece may write itself. There is no bad first draft. Let yourself go.

Good advice...I suppose...from someone who has it all figured out! Jerk.

Another experienced soloist suggests that I "Just keep practising...eventually, I'll figure it out."

And another says I'll find it when I reach the right mixture of "mind, body and spirit."

Of course, I could always result to the mindless dribble that reports every single random activity,thought or internal conflict that half of the blogging nation should have never auditioned to share!

I guess I'll keep warming up.

Ivan L

No comments:

Post a Comment

statcounter